QuickBooks error 12031 is an infamous 12000 series error that arises when a user tries to update QuickBooks Desktop and payroll to its latest release. On the occurrence of this error, the user gets a message, “A network timeout that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.” The error occurs when Windows Firewall installed on your device stops QuickBooks from accessing the server. However, changing the internet explorer settings can help you resolve the error. This blog is intended to guide users on causes and troubleshooting solutions to fix QuickBooks error code 12031, so read carefully until the end.
If you are looking for a perfect solution to resolve QuickBooks error 12031, call us on our toll-free number +1 800-579-9430 and speak to the QuickBooks technical support team
Reasons that can cause QuickBooks Desktop error 12031
Here is the list of major factors that give rise to this payroll update error in QuickBooks:
- Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks program from downloading new updates.
- The Internet Connection settings are not suitable for QuickBooks.
- The Intuit server is not responding correctly.
- You are using Internet Explorer as the default browser.
You may also read this :- Reset QuickBooks password
Know Steps to Deal with error 12031 in QuickBooks
Solution 1. Reconfigure Internet Explorer settings to set it as the default browser
You need to set Internet Explorer as the default browser to avoid the error as QuickBooks uses internet explorer to open most of its windows. Proceed to the steps mentioned below to do so:
- Move to your Windows desktop and select Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools menu or Gear icon and then select Internet Options.
- Select the Programs menu and move to the Default Web Browser section.
- Select the Make Default option and click OK.
Solution 2. Verify if Internet Explorer is set up correctly
- Close QuickBooks and click the Internet Explorer icon.
- Choose Tools and then the Internet Options option.
- Choose the Security tab, click the Globe icon and assure the security level is no higher than Medium-high.
- From the Connections tab, click Never Dial a Connection if you do not use the dial-up node on the computer.
- If you use the dial-up node, choose the correct ISP and click OK.
- Click LAN Settings and then select the automatically detect settings option.
- Check if the Use a Proxy Server checkbox is clear or selected. If it is selected, document the complete address and port.
- Do not clear the Use a Proxy server checkbox if the port is other than port 80.
- Uncheck the checkbox for testing purposes if the port is port 80 and click OK.
- Move to the Advanced tab and choose Restore Advanced settings.
- Under the Settings section, look for the Use TLS 1.2 option and check if it is selected or not
- Close the Internet Explorer window and reboot your device.
If you encounter the QuickBooks error 12031 even after following the troubleshooting solutions discussed above, feel free to consult the certified QuickBooks expert’s team by calling us on our toll-free number +1 800-579-9430.
Related article also read :- How to safely Reset QuickBooks password?